Re: Can you tell me what is wrong with this program

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110347] Re: Can you tell me what is wrong with this program
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 02:27:05 -0400 (EDT)

>if[(B*B - A*C) > 0]
>{
>K1 = (B + sqrt (B*B - A*E))/A;
>K2 = (B - sqrt (B*B - A*E))/A;
>e = abs (lc);
>m = abs (lm);
>z = abs (lz);
>L = c + m + z;
>if [K1 <= 0.707 && K1 > 0 , print[n, L, lc,   lm ,  lz, K1]]
>if [K2 <= 0.707 && K1 > 0 , print[n, L, lc,   lm ,  lz, K2]]
>
>}
>

>}
>}
>}

>I get the following error

>Out[5]= for[0, True, 0]

>During evaluation of In[1]:= Set::wrsym: Symbol C is Protected. >>

Let's start with *all* built-in Mathematica functions start with
an uppercase letter. No exceptions.

Next, arguments to all functions are delimited with *square*
brackets "[" and "]" not parentheses. So your abs(lc) needs to
be Abs[lc] etc. And since there are several built-in things
named with a single uppercase letter such as C,D and E, you
would be well advised to not use a single upper case letter as a
variable name.