Re: Using Mathematica for Electrophysiology Data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110457] Re: Using Mathematica for Electrophysiology Data
  • From: François Blumenfeld <hypotyposis at me.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:48:05 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Sjoerd!

This works very well.  I was indeed hoping to return the binning method
as well, but this is not so important.
The fitting is no problem now that I can build a frequency table from
the histogram data. (And, yes, I always want to put an uppercase "L"
in "NonlinearModelFit"!)

To sum up:
Data is imported into Mathematica as a list of time values and a
matching list of amplitudes; then I apply

{g, {binCounts}} ==
  Reap[
   Histogram[
    listOfAmplitudesInPa,
    Automatic,
    Function[
     {bins, counts}, Sow[{bins, counts}]; counts]]]

which gives me the frequency table for the raw data using
Mathematica's automatic bin width determination (bin width is, e.g.,
binCounts[[1, 1, 2]] - binCounts[[1, 1, 1]] ).
Along with fitting of a curve to this data, this is equivalent to the
procedure we use on raw data with Clampfit and Origin.

Thanks again,

Francois