Re: precedence for ReplaceAll?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110555] Re: precedence for ReplaceAll?
  • From: Matthias Fripp <mfripp at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:27:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Leonid,

Thanks -- your explanation is very helpful. The descriptions of the
Trace, Unevaluated and HoldPattern functions are also very useful. It
would have taken me a while to find them on my own!

I'm surprised to see that Mathematica evaluates the main expression as
far as possible before applying any replacement rules. It would seem
more "natural" to me to apply the replacements first, then go to work
on the expression. But I suppose there's a certain logic to this. At
least now I know how to apply the rules before the expression is
evaluated (which will be useful in other situations as well).

I'm equally surprised that Mathematica applies the delayed assignment
(a := A c) to the left hand side of the ReplaceAll rule (a -> x). But
at least now I know what to watch out for and how to work around it!

Thanks very much for your help.

Matthias