Re: Image processing Questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110582] Re: Image processing Questions
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:12:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

the good thing in image processing is that a method never applies
to all situations. Bad people say it only applies in the specific
testcase for what it was written.
I would take Gimp or Photo-Shop|Paint or any other ip-software and
use the *repair*-brush (sorry, I don't know the english word), since
this is faster.

The method at

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin7/content/BuiltInImageProcessing/RemoveTextFromAnImage.html

works on the whole image and I wouldn't use it on my photos.
Maybe this is more appropriate and can be adapted to your photo. It
should answer your second question too:

img = ImageResize[
  Import["http://lessflowermorepower.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/\
dsci0004.jpg"], 300]
{nx, ny} = ImageDimensions[img];
date = ImageTake[img, {190, 225}, {150, 300}]
{r, g, b} = ColorSeparate[date]
mask = Dilation[Binarize[ColorNegate[b]], 1]
street = ImageMultiply[date, ColorNegate[mask]]
tile1 = ImageMultiply[Closing[street, 4], mask]
tile2 = ImageMultiply[ColorNegate[mask], date]
tile3 = ImageAdd[tile1, tile2]
ImageCompose[img, tile3, {150, 0}, {0, 0}]

Cheers
Patrick

PS: If the randomly selected image link isn't working, let me know.