Re: Why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110607] Re: Why?
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

danl at wolfram.com wrote:
>> [...] The IEEE-754
>> binary standard embodies a good deal of the well-tested wisdom of
>> numerical analysis from the beginning of serious digital computing
>> through the next 40 years or so.  There were debates about a few items
>> that are peripheral to these decisions, such as dealing with
>> over/underflow, error handling, traps, signed zeros.
>>

> To what extent is this standard really in conflict with significance
> arithmetic?
I think the standard is not "in conflict" exactly.  The question seems
to me to be one of choosing the right basis for
building whatever it is you want to build, considering that other people
will want to build other things, but collectively
you can really have only one basis -- that is, the one that is going to
be more-or-less frozen in the standard, and embodied in
hardware.  You won't be able to change that easily, and some people are
going to make this standard run very very
fast, perhaps with parallel or pipelined hardware. Furthermore, the
standard will be running on every computer, so
you want to make good use of it if possible.    So for the particular
issue here, we ask, how hard is
it to build significance arithmetic [assuming you desire that] starting
with IEEE-754.
Compare that to how hard is it to build IEEE-754, apparently desired by
some people,
 given that you have implemented significance arithmetic.  Imagine for
example, a hardware model in which the various Precision, Accuracy, and
marks like `  are provided, and where
the convert-binary-to-decimal ,  or formatted output, are standardly
given as in Mathematica.  Thus an answer
that prints as "0."   might be zero, or might be meaningless noise.  Now
can you build IEEE-754 style arithmetic
on top?  Sure, because you have all these flags and setting programs
like SetPrecision and SetAccuracy and MaxPrecision
and MinPrecision and whatever else there is now.

It is just not economical.  And since it is built only in Mathematica
software, it is portable only to other people
who have Mathematica, instead of being portable to anyone who has a
computer that implements the standard.

>  As best I can tell, for many purposes significance arithmetic
> sits on top of an underlying "basic" arithmetic (one that does not track
> precision). That part comes reasonably close to IEEE, as best I understand
> (more on this below).

Well, down at the bottom it has got to run machine instructions, so we
know it is either using IEEE-754,
or integer arithmetic.

>> Computing can model mathematics, mathematics can model reality. At
>> least that is the commonly accepted reason we still run computer
>> programs in applications.  Good numerical computing tools allows one to
>> build specific applications.  For example, one would hope that the
>> computing tools would allow an efficient implementation of (say)
>> interval arithmetic. This is fairly easy with IEEE-754 arithmetic,
>> but much much harder on earlier hardware designs.
>>

> I'm not convinced interval arithmetic is ever easy. But I can see that
> having IEEE to handle directed rounding is certainly helpful.

Doing + * /  is not hard.  Elementary functions of intervals becomes
tedious. etc.

>>   The basic tool that Mathematica (and many other systems) provides that
>> might be considered a major extension in a particular direction, is the
>> arbitrary precision software.
>>    Mathematica has a different take on this though, trying to maintain
>> an indication of precision.  None of the other libraries or systems that
>> do arbitrary precision arithmetic have adopted this, so if it is such a
>> good idea, oddly no one else has taken the effort to mimic it.  And it
>> is not hard to mimic, so if anyone were to care, it could be done
>> easily. Apparently people do not want some heuristically determined
>> "fuzz" to be mysteriously added to their arithmetic.
>>

> I'm not sure it is all that easy to code the underlying precision
> tracking. But yes, it is certainly not a huge multi-person, multi-year
> undertaking. I'd guess most commercial vendors and freeware implementors
> of extended precision arithmetic do not see it as worth the investment.
Most commercial vendors of math libraries don't have extended precision
arithmetic at all; doing "automatic" precision
tracking using this is fairly esoteric.
>  My
> take is it makes a considerable amount of hybrid symbolic-numeric
> technology more accessible to the implementor. But I cannot say how
> important this might be in the grand scheme of things.
>

>> I do not know how much of the code for internal arithmetic for
>> evaluation of functions in Mathematica is devoted to bypassing these
>> arithmetic features, but based on some examples provided in this
>> newsgroup, I suspect this extra code, which is an attempt to mimic
>> arithmetic without the fuzz inserted by Mathematica, becomes
>> a substantial computational burden, and an intellectual burden on the
>> programmer to undo the significance arithmetic fuzz.
>>

> In our internal code it is relatively straightforward to bypass.
> Effectively there are "off" and "on" switches of one line each. I do not
> know how much they get used but imagine it is frequent in some parts of
> the numerics code. For disabling in Mathematica code we have the oft-cited
> $MinPrecision and $MaxPrecision settings. I believe this is slated to
> become simpler in a future release (not sure if it is the next release
> though).

So  $MinPrecision=$MaxPrecision = MachinePrecision makes everything run
at machine speed? :)

>>> Where I fault Mathematica's design here is that "Real" wraps two
>>> rather different kinds of objects: fixed-precision machine numbers,
>>> and Mathematica's approximate reals. Both are useful, but
>>> understanding and controlling which kind you're using is a bit subtle.
>>> "Complex" is even more troublesome.
>>>
>> I know of 4 systems which provide arbitrary precision numbers that mimic
>> the IEEE-754 arithmetic but with longer fraction and exponent fields.
>> Perhaps that would provide the unity of design concept that you would
>> prefer. One just increases by a factor of 4  (quad double), the other
>> are arbitrary precision.
>>
>> RJF
>>

> Mathematica with precision tracking disabled is fairly close to IEEE. I
> think what is missing is directed rounding modes.
OK, so it is not really very close.  But many other languages make it
difficult to access these rounding
modes too, making it a chicken-and-egg problem.  You can't write machine
independent code that uses them, so people
are tempted to leave them out of language implementations, and if they
could, they would even leave them out of the hardware.  Or implement
them in some major brain-damaged way that slows the machine down.

>  There might be other
> modest digressions from rounding number of bits upward to nearest word
> size (that is to say, mantissas will come in chunks of 32 or 64 bits).

  At least some of the libraries I'm aware of  do the same thing.
> For many purposes, the fixed precision arithmetic you advocate is just
> fine. Most numerical libraries, even in extended precision, will do things
> similar to what one gets from Mathematica, with (usually) well studied
> algorithms under the hood that produce results guaranteed up to, or at
> least almost to, the last bit. This is good for quadrature/summation,
> numerical optimization and root-finding, most numerical linear algebra,
> and numerical evaluation of elementary and special functions.
>
> Where it falls short is in usage in a symbolic programming setting, where
> one might really need the precision tracking.
There is a choice here of forcing the precision tracking into everyone's
arithmetic  (unless you set flags to inhibit it)
or implementing the precision tracking on top of the algorithm.
> My take is it is easier to
> have that tracking, and disable it when necessary, than to not have when
> you need it.
An alternative would be a compiler that takes an ordinary numeric
program and re-interprets it to do
precision tracking, and emits the code to do so.  This is fairly
commonplace in the interval arithmetic
community, where a (usually slightly modified) FORTRAN program P is run
through some 'Interval FORTRAN'
translator to produce a program P'.  This program P' is compiled and
linked with a library of some interval
routines, and the final running of the program results in interval results.

There are also such compilers for arbitrary precision FORTRAN.

There are various disadvantages to these systems (esp. they are not so
robust with respect to error reporting)
but they do not slow down the arithmetic for everyone.  Just for the
people doing interval arithmetic.

There are major major advantages to taking other peoples' code that does
the right thing in terms of
reporting an answer and an appropriate bound on the error -- linear
algebra code, elementary functions,
all written using standard arithmetic running at full speed, and giving
state-of-the-art bounds, not
something cobbled together by trying to track each addition and
multiplication.

>  Where people with only fixed extended precision at their
> disposal try to emulate significance arithmetic in the literature, I
> generally see only smallish examples and no indication that the emulation
> is at all effective on the sort of problems one would really encounter in
> practice.

This assumes that someone (not using Mathematica) is trying to emulate
significance arithmetic.

I do not expect that anyone seriously interested in doing this would be
substantially more or less
successful than WRI in implementing it.

I'm not sure what you mean by smallish examples. Examples of
implementing significance arithmetic,
or examples of running an emulation of significance arithmetic.  I think
the latter interpretation is
more salient..

I suspect that in any serious application of significance arithmetic
whether in mathematica or some other
package , where some particular datum undergoes
thousands or millions of operations, occasionally, and perhaps
frequently numbers will be
computed in which all significance will disappear.

  As I have pointed out in the past,
something like    x=2*x-x   loses one bit.   (in Mathematica 7.0, for sure). Do
it n times and for any number x, you get zero.
For[x = 1.11111111111111111111, x> 0, Print[x= 2*x- x]]   terminates
with x=0.

I think this is the kind of example, smallish, that shows that a naive
user relying on significance arithmetic embedded
in an otherwise ordinary program, will sometimes get nonsense.  Relying
on significance arithmetic for largish
examples is hazardous, where values like x above may undergo, sight
unseen, many transformations.

It is especially hazardous if the naive user is lead to believe that
significance arithmetic
is his/her friend and protects against wrong answers.  Clearly the value
for x above has lead to a branch (where x=0),
even though x is not, but is, um, something like 0``-0.5162139529488116

RJF