Re: learning calculus through mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107936] Re: [mg107880] learning calculus through mathematica
  • From: Canopus56 <canopus56 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:51:51 -0500 (EST)

There a number of college texts of that can be located using Amazon.com and the keyword search "Calculus mathematica".  Not suprisingly, one of the uses of Mathematica (and other systems) is in college analytic geometry and calculus courses.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Calculus+mathematica

I have:
1) Kevin O'Conner, Calculus Labs for Mathematica (2008).  This is a short 120 page phamplet that integrates with the course textbook:
David William Cohen (Author), James M. Henle (Author), Calculus: The Language of Change (2004)

The contents of both can be previewed on Amazon.com.

2) Bruce F. Torrence, The Student's Introduction to MATHEMATICA : A Handbook for Precalculus, Calculus, and Linear Algebra. (2009)

O'Conner was simplier and more direct than Torrence.

Also look at the Wolfram Library Archive for sample notebooks.
http://library.wolfram.com/

Using "calculus" as a keyword, returns an overwhelming 962 cites to books and sample notebooks.  Alot of the references are outdated, that is they have deprecated urls or are buit for older versions of Mathematica.

There is also a calculus index on the same Wolfram Library with 182 entries.  It is easier to read and review.
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/BySubject/Mathematics/CalculusAnalysis/Calculus/

Also courseware - 25 entries
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Courseware/Mathematics/CalculusAnalysis/Calculus/

See also the demos library - 15 entries