Re: (is there) anyway to tell that Dynamic is running?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107973] Re: [mg107937] (is there) anyway to tell that Dynamic is running?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 05:28:24 -0500 (EST)

You should the ChoiceDialog thread I contributed to earlier in the week. This
message contains pretty much all of the relevant stuff in the thread...

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2010/Mar/msg00021.html

In addition to that message, I'll say...

* Dynamics do not generally "run in the front end", except in some very trivial
cases.  They may however, block the front end, if they're synchronous.

* No, there's generally no indication that it's an evaluation.  In many cases,
such an indication would be undesirable and annoying.

* Better recovery from badly performing Dynamics is certainly something we're
still working on.  But as I mention in the other email, every Dynamic is wrapped
in TimeConstrained, and you can control the value of that TimeConstrained...even
on a per-Dynamic basis if necessary, by doing something like...

Style[Dynamic[...], DynamicEvaluationTimeout->2]

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group