Re: auto-save in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107994] Re: auto-save in Mathematica
  • From: John Jowett <john.m.jowett at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:29:33 -0500 (EST)

As recommended here, I do save my notebooks frequently (and make
copies now and again, especially while coding intensively).  However
an extremely useful supplementary technique is to use the "Bare Bones
Backup"  described by DrMajorBob in this group a few years ago:

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2007/Jun/msg00579.html

This makes a palette with a button that saves a time-stamped version
of the notebook with all the output removed - generally a pretty small
file - in a backup directory.  You can have hundreds of these, each
containing the essential stuff (i.e. that you typed yourself) as it
was at a given moment.

I made some adaptations of my own to include the year in the notebook
name, choose my own location for the backup files, etc.

 John Jowett