Re: Mathematica and LaTeX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107998] Re: [mg107966] Mathematica and LaTeX
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 04:30:17 -0500 (EST)

That's a common problem that is easily solved in either of two ways:

(1) Process the LaTeX file with pdfTeX so as to directly convert from
.tex source to .pdf output. This should avoid the bounding box problem.

(2) Instead of doing the Mathematica Export to .pdf, Export to .eps.
Next, run an ordinary LaTeX processor that produces .dvi output.
Finally, convert from .dvi to .ps and then from .ps to .eps.

I do (2) all the time, since I get the quickest workflow that way. But I
use (1) sometimes, too.

To be sure, I tried both solutions using MiKTeX 2.8 and the following
.tex source file. I show the version for method (1); change the
extension from "pdf" to "eps" for method (2).

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphics}

\begin{document}

Here's a plot: