Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108079] Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:10:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> To pursue the inquiry a bit further, Workbench seems to be called an
> "environment" -- a term that may have varied meanings.
>
> Would it also be properly called an "app"?

Eclipse is a regular "application" and the application type is IDE, that
is "Integrated Development Environment", a class of applications that
traditionally integrate stuff like compilers, build tools, debuggers,
version control and some more in one application.
The Wolfram Workbench is a plugin for eclipse which adds support for the
programming language Mathematica to eclipse, that is an editor that
knows Mathematica syntax, a debugger, a profiler and some other tools
that help with standard tasks that a Mathematica programmer will be
faced when writing a Mathematica package or application. If you are
interested, learn more about eclipse at www.eclipse.org

> As an operational question, if you Open Workbench on a Mac, does
> "Workbench" appear just the right of the Apple Menu in the menu bar?

I don't have a Mac handy, and never used neither Wolfram Workbench nor
Eclipse on a Mac, so I simply don't know, I'm also not sure which menu
bar you are referring to...

hth,

albert