Re: Why can't Mathematica tell when something is algebraically zero?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108158] Re: Why can't Mathematica tell when something is algebraically zero?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 06:25:14 -0500 (EST)

On 3/8/10 at 6:09 AM, mmdanziger at gmail.com (mmdanziger) wrote:

>This isn't the first time that I've encountered something like this
>in Mathematica but in my calculations I got a term like this:

>r^2 Sqrt[(r^3 + r + 2)/r] - Sqrt[r^3 (r^3 + r + 2)]

>Which is obviously identically zero.  For some reason Simplify or
>even FullSimplify can't figure this out.

The problem is the expression is not zero for all possible
values of r. Specifically

In[3]:= r^2 Sqrt[(r^3 + r + 2)/r] - Sqrt[r^3 (r^3 + r + 2)] /. r
-> I

Out[3]= -2 + 2 I

You can get Mathematica to do what you want by using PowerExpand
which implicitly assumes reals. That is:

In[4]:= r^2 Sqrt[(r^3 + r + 2)/r] -
   Sqrt[r^3 (r^3 + r + 2)] // PowerExpand

Out[4]= 0