Re: Re: Re: learning calculus through mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108152] Re: [mg108015] Re: [mg107971] Re: learning calculus through mathematica
  • From: eric g <eric.phys at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 06:24:08 -0500 (EST)

I took two graduate level applied mathematics class and in one of them
the professor refused to take any homework not done by hand and without
the help of Mathematica or similar softwares... I think certain things
you should do it by hand especially if you are learning. For example,
the typical calculus I problem is to graph a function (finding its
roots, maxima/minima, and limits) in doing it by hand you learn and
practice it, but once you get it and pass the class I just use Plot, an
even if you want to check you are right before turning the homework use
mathematica to check your results.

For a teacher is really nice to have all the resources possible to have
good power-points presentations and to explain things, here I think
mathematica plays an important role...

I learnt mathematics in a third world country, and even I didn't have
money for having a scientific calculator, I learnt many things using
classic calculus books...later in the states where  I did my graduate
studies I heavily used mathematica for doing homework and displaying
results... In one occasion part of a solid-state problem was needed to
integrate cosine fuctions times polinomials, it was tedious to do it by
hand (integrating by part or wath-ever other technique I learnt in my
undergraduate)... I know a student who spent a week doing the integrals
by hand..  Another occasion, in a quantum mechanics problem it was a
bonus problem which implied to solve an eigensystem of a 7x7 matrix, I
was the only one who solve it because I programmed with Mathematica....
some morons told me sarcastically, " you solve it because you used
Mathematica" and that was not fair, to setup the indexes and the code
for building the matrix was not trivial to do (but easy for one who
knows to program, the morons didn't know and want to learn to program),
and even the code was for any nxn-matrix....

so many times I have got the put down "you solve because you used
mathematica"
... when the true is "you solve it because you know to program, and you
use mathematica rather than C because you are not a masochist"

my advise to learning calculus is try to know as much a possible in
whats going on, if you are using mathematica to solve an integral you
should know what method could be used to solve it, use mathematica for
checking results/answers, use mathematica to gain insight when you are
stuck in something complex. if learning physics, try to know how to
derive the formulas rather than use them, learn/understand as many
derivations as possible, that will train your basic algebra skills as
well as gaining full understanding of the details.

try to proof or understand proofs of theorems, that is the pinacle of
the human brain... and I think mathematica can't help in that.

bests,

eric