Re: Re: learning calculus through mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108191] Re: [mg108046] Re: learning calculus through mathematica
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 01:45:01 -0500 (EST)

I must share another anecdotal experience, that I got today, but as
experience it is not unique. I am working in the field of liquid crystals,
and was investigating a paper, where they measured the optical retardation
of liquid crystal cell, and they could vary both the wavelength of light and
the inclination angle of the illuminating light. Using this data, they
fitted three parameters, characterizing the optical properties of the cell.
This really looked good to us, because we want to measure the same
parameters. However, I used two days with Mathematica to solve the
differential equation they presented, and from that I could (using their
formulas) use NIntegrate to get the retardation as function of all involved
parameters. Then I did some simple plots to check how the retardation varies
when the fitting parameters are varied. Unfortunately I found that the
retardation changed in (almost) the same way, independent of which parameter
I varied... So the problem was as well specified as the equation x + y + z
== 50. It is possible to get a very good fit of the x, y, and z to this
equation, but the value and relevance of one particular solution is null.
Thus it would be possible to specify only one, but not three, parameters
from the experimental data.
So why had not the authors of the paper seen the same? I am 100 % sure that
it is not due to my superior intelligence. Maybe my experience from solving
a similar problem on a Olivetti Programma machine 40 years back helps a bit,
but the thing I think that really matters is that I have appropriate
knowledge about the relevant CAS tool (Mathematica, of course), and I guess
that the same was not true for these authors. It is not appropriate to
reveal their names here.
So the relevant test for the math students is maybe not to test them with
small 2x2 equation systems that can be solved with paper and pen. Give them
instead slightly more involved problems, and a computer with some CAS
systems installed, and measure then the time and the quality of the
solutions. The set of problems you can solve if you have a CAS system to
your disposal is immensely larger than the set of paper-and-pen problems,
especially if you are trained to use the abilities of the CAS.

Ingolf Dahl