Re: reading expressions in a file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108208] Re: reading expressions in a file
  • From: Raffy <adraffy at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:29:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 9, 10:50 pm, Maria Davis <arbi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ;
>
> I have a file .txt generated from a software, each line of the file
> includes an expression and  the last line is empty.
> How can Mathematica read lines of the text file and include each line
> in the same list without reading the last empty line  .
>
> I used :
> MYLIST = ReadList["file.txt", Record,  RecordSeparators -> {}]
>
> But it still reading the empty line.
>
> Thanks.

ReadList["file.txt", Record, RecordSeparators -> {}] will just read
the entire file as a single string.

It sounds like you just want:

ReadList["file.txt", String]

Although, if any of other expressions are empty, they'll be ignored,
so you could also use:

Most@ReadList["/Users/raffy/Desktop/test.txt", String, NullRecords ->
True]