Re: locally changing Options

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108293] Re: [mg108224] locally changing Options
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:14:38 -0500 (EST)

An interesting question. I don't know of a good way to use Block on an
Option value. Maybe someone will come up with a solution.

I assume that within foo you are using RowReduce a number of times so you
don't want to write the specific option value each time. Why not define your
own local version of RowReduce for the foo routine?

foo[x_]:=
 Module[{rowReduce}
  rowReduce[mat_]:= RowReduce[mat, Method -> "OneStepRowReduction"];
  ...;
  rowReduce[x]]

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: hemmecke [mailto:hemmecke at gmail.com]

In a function I'd like to temporarily say

foo[x_]:=Module[{...},
  SetOptions[RowReduce, Method->OneStepRowReduction];
]

without affecting the global setting for RowReduce when I call foo.

My experiments wrapping the SetOptions with a Block structure were not
fruitful so far.
The only thing I can think of is something of the form

  method = Options[RowReduce, Method];
  SetOptions[RowReduce, Method->OneStepRowReduction];
  ... do something ...
  SetOptions[RowReduce,method]

But that looks ugly.

Any suggestions with built-in Mathematica features to achieve this kind of
locality.

Ralf