Re: Pi day

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108392] Re: Pi day
  • From: brien colwell <xcolwell at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 04:45:35 -0500 (EST)

I would try to approach it iteratively.  If you have a rational number
P/Q,   then the smallest step forward (seems to be) either increasing P by
the smallest amount, or decreasing Q by the smallest amount and then
decreasing P to ensure strictly ascending.

The iteration would be start with the smallest number (123456789 /
987654321) and take the smallest steps forward until it crosses Pi.

I can't think of a clever way to iterate the numbers of interest in
ascending order, so I would probably just throw all 9! (400k) in a list and
sort it.