number representation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108532] number representation
  • From: Benjamin Hell <hell at exoneon.de>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 02:39:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
Mathematicas default behavior with representing floating point numbers
seems to be that numbers greater or equal to 10^-5 are shown without and
numbers smaller than 10^-5 are shown with a sort of Scientific notation,
i.e. floatingpointnumber x 10^-n.
So for example the input 0.00001 delivers 0.00001, but the input
0.000001 delivers the output 1.\[CenterDot]10^-6 .
As I want to use ToString on the InputForm of such a floating point
number and using that string in a chart I want to be able to control
that behaviour. This means I want to control when scientific notation is
used and when not, because this affects the string I get from ToString.
I am sure there are a lot of ways to get where I want to, but at the
moment I am kind of stuck and don't find the right Forms or Parameters
for displaying the number the way I want it to. Hope someone can help me
out once again.

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin