Re: solving equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108553] Re: solving equations
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:22:42 -0500 (EST)

Maria,

If you change the code as I described Mathematica reads infinity
(actually Infinity with a capital I) just fine, i.e. as a 'value' and
not as a string.

Simplify[var,Infinity] yields var as an answer, so it seems
Mathematica knows some transformation rules for Min, but it doesn't
seem to use this knowledge in situations as

Solve[{b == Min[c, d], d == Infinity}, {b}, {d}].

But even if it did, you would have problems solving the equations.
Your set contains, for instance,

consumerOinputPOTP ==  Min[consumerOoutputPOTP, consumerOTP],

where consumerOTP is not defined. (read a bullet for  'O')

If I ask you what the minimum of x and 5 is without specifying x, what
would you respond?

Cheers -- Sjoerd