Re: "Quick and dirty" Solve[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108575] Re: "Quick and dirty" Solve[]
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:41:17 -0500 (EST)

On 3/23/10 at 4:24 AM, guerom00 at gmail.com (guerom00) wrote:

>In order to found an upper bound for a numerical integration, I
>would like to "solve" something like Solve[f[x]<1*^-10,x] but in a
>quick and dirty way; let me explain : - dirty, in the sense that I
>would be happy to find an x for which f[x] is say between 1*^-9 and
>1*^-11 or so - quick in the sense that one evaluation of f[x] takes
>some time; the goal would be to find x by evaluating f[x] as fewer
>time as possible

>Any idea how to do that ?

There are several possible ways to approach such a problem. But
to make good suggestions, I really need to know something about
your f[x].

A couple of possibilities. Plot f[x] over a suitable range. Find
a functions h such that f[x]<h[x] over the appropriate range
that is easier to evaluate. A useful function h would not be
much different than f and would have similar limiting behavior.