Re: How to pass additional parameters to the ticks function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108648] Re: How to pass additional parameters to the ticks function?
  • From: Brett Champion <brettc at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:35:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 25, 2010, at 4:28 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> background:
>
> When plotting, one can supply a specific tick function, which is
> automatically called by the Plot code. This allows one to have
> control on
> how the ticks are set.
>
> This is useful. Here is an example:
>
> ------------------------------
> ticksX[min_, max_] := Table[{i, Style[i, Red, 12], {0.04, 0}},
>   {i, Ceiling[min], Floor[max]}]
>
> Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 4}, Ticks -> {ticksX, Automatic}]
> -------------------------------
>
> The only problem with the above design, is that sometimes one might
> want to
> have additional information inside the ticks function, other than
> just the
> min and the max ticks values, to help it decide what to do.
>
> Assume this additional information is some variable, say T.
>
> Right now, the only way to access this variable from inside the ticks
> function, is to have T  be global. I prefer not to use global
> variables/symbols.
>
> It would be much better if Ticks would take additional, and optional
> parameter, to pass to the ticks function.
>
> May be something like
>
> ------------------------------------
> ticksX[min_, max_,extra_List] :=  If[ extra[[1]]==.... etc.....]
>

> Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 4}, Ticks -> {ticksX[{T}], Automatic}]

With the definition for ticksX as above, use:

Ticks -> {ticksX[##, {T}]&, Automatic}

Or you can define ticksX as:

ticksX[extra_List][min_, max_] :=  If[ extra[[1]]==.... etc.....]

in which case your Plot[] code

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 4}, Ticks -> {ticksX[{T}], Automatic}]

will work.

Brett Champion
Wolfram Research