Re: Adding data to excel sheet (v7.0)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108697] Re: Adding data to excel sheet (v7.0)
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:06:42 -0500 (EST)

kristoph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> suppose I have a prepared Excel sheet which already contains numbers
> and some writing. However, the sheet is not complete because I would
> like to add some results from Mathematica.
>
> How do I just add the results and not overwrite the whole file.
>
> Example:
> Suppose the prepared excel file contains in cell A1 the text
> "results". Now I would like to export from my Mathematica file the
> results of some calculations. Say the result is 100. How do I add the
> result 100 to the existing file such that the resulting excel file has
> still "results" written in cell A1 and now 100 in cell B1.
>
> Thanks for answer.
> Kris

Without delving into the Java API's that can manipulate spreadsheets,
your best bet would be to use Import to get the whole spreadsheet into
Mathematica, add the new information, and then re-export it. You want to
work with a simple spreadsheet - not one with extra font information and
images, etc.

Beware that Export to spreadsheets seems rather slow if the amount of
data is large, so test early with some data that is as big as you expect
to need.

I think it is possible to incrementally change an XL spreadsheet via
Java (and hence via Mathematica), so if the above is not adequate, you
might want to contact me.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk