Re: Running Mathematica code using DOS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108713] Re: Running Mathematica code using DOS
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:56:03 -0500 (EST)

Maria Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want  to run Mathematica  with DOS Command. My purpose is to launch
> a Mathematica program written in .nb file or in .txt file and to
> execute it.
> Can you please help me?
> Many thanks.

I assume you don't really mean DOS (which is a very old 16-bit operating
system), but the box you can open using CMD.

The easiest way to start a notebook or package file from within such a
system, is to type:

start foo.nb

or

start foo.m

(The start command uses the .nb suffix to recognise that the file should
be opened using Mathematica).

You wouldn't write a Mathematica program in a .txt file, but in a .m file.

BTW, I am a great fan of computing from the command line, and using
batch files, etc - which probably reveals something about my age!
However, I use a program called 4NT, which looks just like the standard
CMD box, but has additional features.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk