Multi-dimensional Fourier series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108727] Multi-dimensional Fourier series
  • From: Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 05:23:06 -0500 (EST)

I measured the temperature of several points in a 3-dimensional space,
and want to curve-fit the results to a "simple" function.

Sine/cosine functions are the most obvious choice, but how do you
Fourier transform 3-dimensional data?

And what exactly is a 3-dimensional Fourier transform?

I'm guessing it's the sum of terms like:

Cos[r*x]*Cos[s*y]*Cos[t*z]

over all integer values of r,s,t, with the appropriate phase shifts,
amplitude shifts, etc, thrown in.

What Mathematica functions can help me + where can I learn more about them?