Re: Mathematica starts badly 1 time over 5 in OSX

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108742] Re: Mathematica starts badly 1 time over 5 in OSX
  • From: Fred Klingener <gigabitbucket at BrockEng.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 04:59:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 29, 6:21 am, Jason Ledbetter <jasonbr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> The frustrating thing is that this issue has been known about for some time
> and hasn't been fixed. I find it unacceptable for basic functionality (like
> expecting the software to work when it is first started after a reboot) to
> be relegated to some future major software release.
I've had persistent intermittent problems w/ Mathematica 7.0.1/OSX 10.6.2 that
present in a variety of ways, but booting isn't one of them. The
simplest to test and to describe is an inability to run Mathematica-
>AboutMathematica...->SystemInformation. So the root probably lies
somewhere in the Java train.

Other more subtle and more maddening symptoms include failure to load
and run some notebook files written using earlier versions.

For a time, I corresponded with TS, and we tried many things, but I
finally gave up. I've developed simple (but tedious) ways to recover
and refresh old files, but I've burrowed in to wait for new versions
of Mathematica or OSX that will fix the problem.

I'm retired, so my time is technically worthless, but if I had money
to make, deadlines to meet, or clients with veins standing out on
their foreheads, I would have had to abandon Mathematica long ago.

Hth, but probably doesn't,
Fred Klingener