Manipulate with Matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113605] Manipulate with Matrices
  • From: Jay <jaiezee at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 04:00:27 -0500 (EST)

I would like to use Manipulate on matrices. For instance, allow the
user to choose elements of a 50 by 50 matrix, and Manipulate shows the
dynamic inverse or transpose or determinant or whatever of the so
manipulated matrix. But I do not wish to specify ranges for the 2500
elements separately, but rather using matrices as objects.

For instance, I would like the user to choose a 5 by 5 matrix, whereby
the range goes from the zero matrix to the matrix with all elements
equal to 100, with initial matrix the identity matrix:

Manipulate[
 Det[nn], {{nn, IdentityMatrix[5]}, ConstantArray[0, {5, 5}],
  ConstantArray[100, {5, 5}]}]

How can this be accomplished? How do I tell Mathematica that nn is a 5
by 5 matrix to start with? I would have hoped that the
initial value shows it is a 5 by 5 matrix, but I think that does not
work quite so automatically.

In that sense, neither the following works,

Manipulate[FullSimplify[Det[Array[nn, {5, 5}]]], {nn}]

Any help much appreciated!

Jay