Re: integral inside an integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113615] Re: integral inside an integral
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 04:02:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi Charles,

Not as easy as your code suggests, but something like this is possible. You
have to make the
parameter <alpha> numerical, and also define an auxiliary function to do the
integration over y
(at least, I could not see any other way to do this):

Clear[h];
h[f_, g_, alpha_?NumericQ] :=
 Module[{k, gint},
  k[x_] := 1/(x^6 + 1);
  gint[x_?NumericQ] :=
   NIntegrate[g[alpha - x - y]*k[y], {y, -Infinity, Infinity}];
  NIntegrate[f[alpha - x]*k[x]/gint[x], {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]]

Example (I hard-coded the k[x_] function for the sake of this example, since
you mentioned
that it is fixed):

In[18]:= h[Abs, #^2 &, 1]

Out[18]= 0.543665