Re: Fonts, Formats, and examples as learning tools

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113623] Re: Fonts, Formats, and examples as learning tools
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 05:11:11 -0500 (EST)

In article <iatt31$egu$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> I tried it and got exactly what I expected, including having the input
> spit back at me when I used RowForm (since there is no such built-in
> Mathematica function).

Consistency -- for the reasons stated.

By the way, Column appears to yield the same default vertical spacing
between elements as does TableForm.  So, I'd assume Row also yields the
same default horizontal spacing between elements as does TableForm?

I can appreciate that some applications might routinely want zero
horizontal spacing in a Row; but then others might not.  In fact, many
might expect that Row[{a,b,c,d}] and Row[{ab,cd}] ought to come out
looking different, at least in the default case.  Anyone who wants to
can of course then easily reduce this spacing to zero.

Given the natural similarities between rows, columns, and tables in
everyday life, might it have been sensible to build Mathematica using a
basic structure in which Row, Column, and Table all had consistent
iterators, and RowForm, ColumnForm and TableForm all were formats or
"wrappers"?

Maybe there are subtleties that would make this difficult -- but maybe
not.