Re: command to save as .m file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113652] Re: command to save as .m file
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 04:59:43 -0500 (EST)

On 05/11/10 10:11, David Bailey wrote:
> On 04/11/10 09:01, Sebastian wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've been searching the newsgroup and the web for an answer for this,
>> but all the results were unsatisfactory:
>> Is there a way to save the currently opened .nb file to a .m file by
>> using a mathematica command and not the "Save as..." menu command?
>> Please note that I want _all_ the cells to be written to the m file,
>> not only the initialization cells. Even better would be a way to do
>> this on every save of the nb, but I have given up hope that such a
>> thing is possible. All this is part of my effort to find an effective
>> version control solution for my mathematica files.
>> TIA
>> Sebastian
>>
> It would definitely help to explain a bit about what you want to achieve.
>
> However, you could read your notebook with NotebookGet, then write that
> messy structure to a .m file with Save. It would really help to
> understand how you want to use this.
>
> David Bailey
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Sorry, I realised after I had written this, that you had explained what
you are trying to achieve. I have a couple of extra suggestions:

1)   I believe Wolfram Workbench supports version control, but I don't
use this because it seems to involve a steep learning curve and is not
particularly well integrated with Mathematica.

2)  Notebooks are actually text files - try opening one with a text
editor. Therefore, it is possible to read a notebook as lines of text
from within Mathematica.