Re: MathOO: Adding Object Orientation to Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113701] Re: MathOO: Adding Object Orientation to Mathematica
  • From: Tang Ross <ph.tchaa at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:39:23 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tang Ross <ph.tchaa at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM
To: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>

Lastly, I have checked. Module scope returned variables will
garbage-collected automatically. The reason of my case that it is not
collected is because of downvalue.

In:g[x_] := y = x
   Module[{x}, g[x]; Print[x]; x= 1]

Out: x$526

In: FullDefinition[y]

Out: y = x$526y
      Attributes[x$526] = {Temporary}
      x$526 = 1

In: y = 1;
In:?x$526
Information::notfound: Symbol x$526 not found. >>

In this case, when y doesn't reference x$526, it is removed
immediately. Therefore, DownValue holds a reference to the symbol,
which I think is not reasonable.

Regards,
Ross
voofie.com