Re: Graphics: How to get values corresponding to

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113730] Re: Graphics: How to get values corresponding to
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 03:54:03 -0500 (EST)

The issue is not whether the two plots are identical when displayed in the same Show but rather whether g and g2 individually have the same ImageSize, i.e., whether AbsoluteCurrentValue[g, ImageSize] accurately gives the ImageSize of g.

The initial image (g) has a default AspectRatio of 1/GoldenRatio so the ImageSize for g is not square. Whether AbsoluteCurrentValue[g, ImageSize] returns {350, 350} or {400,400} this does not represent the ImageSize of g. As a result, the bounding box for g2 has gaps at the top and bottom that are not present in the bounding box of g.

Bob Hanlon

---- Alexei Boulbitch <alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu> wrote:

=============
Dear Bob,

I tried this your example:

g1 = Plot[Sin[y], {y, 0, 6 Pi}, PlotStyle ->  Red];

g2 = Plot[Sin[y], {y, 0, 6 Pi},
    ImageSize ->  AbsoluteCurrentValue[g, ImageSize]];

Show[{g1, g2}]

on my machine (PC, WinXP Pro, Math7). The two images happen to coincide (at least visually). The command

AbsoluteCurrentValue[g1, ImageSize]

{350, 350}

returned the size of 350, rather then 400 in my case.

Best regards, Alexei

While AbsoluteCurrentValue returns values, it is not the actual ImageSize of the original graphic.

g = Plot[Sin[y], {y, 0, 6 Pi}]

AbsoluteCurrentValue[g, ImageSize]

{400, 400}

g2 = Plot[Sin[y], {y, 0, 6 Pi},
   ImageSize ->  AbsoluteCurrentValue[g, ImageSize]]

Bob Hanlon

---- "Sjoerd C. de Vries"<sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>  wrote:

=============
AbsoluteCurrentValue[g, ImageSize] works for me, but I'm at loss as to
why AbsoluteOptions doesn't work.

Perhaps the documentation should be improved. Shall we start a thread
on that?  ;-)

Cheers -- Sjoerd

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 CONTERN
Luxembourg

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu

www.iee.lu

--

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended

--

Bob Hanlon