Set::pspec error in parallelized loop in Unix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113750] Set::pspec error in parallelized loop in Unix
  • From: Magbenji <ben.ridenhour at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:29:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I've run into a bit of a snag using the built-in parallelized
functions in the Unix environment. If you do something like:

test = Table[Null,{i,100}];
LaunchKernels[3];
SetSharedVariable[test];
ParallelDo[test[[i]]=i^2,{i,100}]

Mathematica (in Unix) then complains and gives Set::pspec errors,
specifically

Set::pspec: Part specification i is neither an integer nor a list of
integers.

When I do this on my Mac, I get no problems or errors. Any ideas why
I'm getting problems assigning test[[i]] with ParallelDo in Unix and
not in Mac??? And more importantly how can I fix this? (I need to run
large jobs on the Unix cluster...)

Thanks in advance!