Re: Balance point of a solid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113773] Re: Balance point of a solid
  • From: Andreas <aagas at ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 06:11:36 -0500 (EST)

Daniel, Ray, Clifford -- Many thanks for the thought provoking
contributions.

Ray and others have found using integration on this problem takes
inordinately long to calculate once you get to 5 dimensions.

Could one attack this problem in another way?  It occurred to me that
given that we know the lengths of the base simplex and heights of the
trapezoids as well as the right angles of the heights to the base
simplex one could then calculate the length of the top lines and solve
the entire thing geometrically without needing to integrate.  Not
necessarily pretty or elegant but it might give give a solution that
calculates fast.

Anyone think this could work?