Re: Table local

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113814] Re: Table local
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 06:08:38 -0500 (EST)

On 11/13/10 at 12:58 AM, he.frauendorfer at t-online.de (EF) wrote:

>"Help, More Information" for Table states:

>Table effectively uses Block to localize values or variables.

>But Clear[u]; Table[u = i^2, {i, 5}]; u

>Clear[u]; Table[u = i^2;, {i, 5}]; u

>In both cases the value 25 for u is given. If u were really local,
>it should have no value outside of the Table

>For me there is a contradiction that can cause a lot of trouble

In Table[u = i^2, {i, 5}], it is i that is localized, not u. Do

Clear[u]

then enter Table[u = i^2, {i, 5}]

into a new cell and notice the colors of the variables. You will
find u has the color of a symbol with no assigned value and i
has the color of a local variable. Syntax coloring can tell you
a lot if you notice.