Varying plot symbols according to additional criteria in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113863] Varying plot symbols according to additional criteria in Mathematica
  • From: Leo Ditolaghi <leoditolaghi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 05:05:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I saw this question posted in another forum. I wish to do the same in
Mathematica;
the author says he routinely does it, does anyone know how?

Thanks in advance,

Leo

> Good morning. Suppose I have a table of data with multiple columns. The
first column has X values, and the second (say) has Y values to be plotted
against X. The remaining columns have other data associated with X, but I'm
not going to plot those.

> Now suppose I want to plot X against Y, but I want the markers to vary in
shape, color, or some other visible characteristic depending on the values
of data in columns that I am not plotting. Now granted, I could write a
series of loops to parse the data array into smaller arrays, and plot each.
But that's a lot of work, and it would be more compact and readable if I
could use the other data columns parametrically to set marker
characteristics.

> I'm still fairly new to this system, but as a long-time Mathematica user, this
is a fairly common thing to do. Is it straightforward in this system? Thanks, my
searches have come up short.

> Oh yeah. Ideally, I could create a legend containing each symbol type,
even though only only y-series is being plotted.