Updating old packages to later Ma versions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113862] Updating old packages to later Ma versions
  • From: leigh pascoe <leigh at evry.inserm.fr>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 05:05:27 -0500 (EST)

I have downloaded and installed a Mathematica package that can be found here:

http://www.biology.ed.ac.uk/research/institutes/evolution/software/barton/

The package is beautifully written and documented. Unfortunately it was
written in Mathematica 4.0 and made use of the Notation, Combinatorica
and Statistics packages, which are now superceded by later versions of
Mathematica. The functions in the package are also capitalised, giving
rise (I think) to the possibility of clashes with Mathematica native
functions. When I run the package I get a number of warnings about the
changed packages and in some instances Ma becomes unstable. There is no
up-dated version of the package available.

Is there a procedure for creating a new version of a package that will
be compatible with Mathematica 7.0? Is it possible to limit the
capitalised commands to the package in question and to give them
priority over any clashing native commands?

I checked the Compatibility guide in the help, but there is no entry for
Notation or Statistics.

Thanks for any help

Typical warnings:
<<Multilocus`DataManipulation`;

General::obspkg: Utilities`Notation` is now obsolete. The legacy version
being loaded may conflict with current Mathematica functionality. See
the Compatibility Guide for updating information. >>
Get::noopen: Cannot open C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\AddOns\ExtraPackages\Utilities\Palettes\English\NotationPalette.nb.

General::newpkg: DiscreteMath`Combinatorica` is now available as the
Combinatorica Package. See the Compatibility Guide for updating
information. >>
Global`OverHat::shdw: Symbol OverHat appears in multiple contexts
{Global`,System`}; definitions in context Global` may shadow or be
shadowed by other definitions. >>
Global`SuperDagger::shdw: Symbol SuperDagger appears in multiple
contexts {Global`,System`}; definitions in context Global` may shadow or
be shadowed by other definitions. >>
Global`SuperStar::shdw: Symbol SuperStar appears in multiple contexts
{Global`,System`}; definitions in context Global` may shadow or be
shadowed by other definitions. >>
General::obspkg: Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` is now obsolete. The
legacy version being loaded may conflict with current Mathematica
functionality. See the Compatibility Guide for updating information. >>
General::obspkg: Statistics`MultiDescriptiveStatistics` is now obsolete.
The legacy version being loaded may conflict with current Mathematica
functionality. See the Compatibility Guide for updating information. >>
General::stop: Further output of General::obspkg will be suppressed
during this calculation. >>

LP