Does activating 8 disable 7?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113881] Does activating 8 disable 7?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:27:44 -0500 (EST)

Mathematica 8 arrived yesterday (that is, I downloaded the 1 GB disk
image which I get for free through Premier Service).

I'm just starting the drawn-out process of moving from a 2007-vintage
MacBook running Leopard to a newly purchased MacBook Pro running Snow
Leopard, doing this one app at a time rather than via a batch
"migration" in the hope of leaving behind all the cruft that may have
accumulated in the older MacBook during three previous system upgrades.

If I install and activate Mathematica 8 on the new MacBook Pro (only),
will that somehow disable or deactivate the copy of Mathematica 7 that's
been left behind on the old MacBook (both Macs talk to our household
WiFi LAN)?

Or will it maybe just block one of them from starting up any time the
other is running?

I'd like to have an overlap period during which the older machine is
still usable while the newer machine gets up to speed.