Re: Mathematica 8 "natural language" capabilities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113987] Re: Mathematica 8 "natural language" capabilities
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 06:11:06 -0500 (EST)

On 11/19/10 at 5:11 AM, Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu (Kevin J. McCann)
wrote:

>Type just "=" with not control! You should see the orange equals,
>then you are good to go. Try plot sin xy (shift return, and no space
>between x and y in the xy).

Interesting. In effect, this means the natural language
interpreter makes different assumptions about inputs than the
local kernel. Other things to try are

plot sin ex
plot sin ey
plot sin y

It appears the natural language interpreter does not allow a two
letters to be interpreted as a single variable.

This seems to mean there is a rather specific syntax needed to
get the desired result from the natural language interpreter. If
so, how would this be better for a new user to Mathematica? It
seems to me the lack of documentation for the natural language
syntax and its similarity to English will lead to more confusion
than standard Mathematica syntax.