Re: Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114066] Re: Mathematica 8
  • From: R Martinez <rm.tech at mac.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 07:39:39 -0500 (EST)

All,

Following up on Syd Geraghty's post, here's what I got for my benchmarks.

Case 1: With General Preferences -> Launch Parallel Kernels -> When Needed

 "MachineName" -> "raul-martinez-macbook-pro", "System" -> "Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)",
 "BenchmarkName" -> "MathematicaMark8", "FullVersionNumber" -> "8.0.0",
 "Date" -> "November 21, 2010", "BenchmarkResult" -> 0.474, "TotalTime" -> 29.19

Case 2: With General Preferences -> Launch Parallel Kernels -> At Startup

 "MachineName" -> "2-node homogeneous cluster", "System" -> "MacOSX-x86-64",
 "BenchmarkName" -> "MathematicaMark8", "FullVersionNumber" -> "8.0.0",
 "Date" -> "November 21, 2010", "BenchmarkResult" -> 0.674, "TotalTime" -> 123.17

As in Syd's results, the machine name was changed when using the 2-kernel configuration at startup. The benchmark result improved from 0.474 in Case 1, to 0.674 in Case 2, a 42% improvement (Syd got a 61% improvement).

I am puzzled, however, by the fact that the total time for Case 1 was 29.19 (presumably seconds) whereas the total time for Case 2 was 123.17. Thus, Case 2 took a lot longer to complete than Case 1, yet the performance improved. Can anyone explain this?

TIA,

Raul Martinez