Re: Finding shared element in two lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114079] Re: Finding shared element in two lists
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:57:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jason,

This problem seems to be better suited for procedural style. You can do
something like this:

TakeWhile[Split[Riffle[myhouse, friendshouse]], Length[#] == 2 &][[-1,1]]

But this will not be efficient for large lists (not your case, I guess).
These versions are slightly more efficient:

TakeWhile[Flatten[{myhouse, friendshouse}, {{2}}],
  Length[#] == 2 && SameQ @@ # &][[-1, 1]]

or

TakeWhile[
  Take[Transpose[#], Min[Length /@ #]] &[{myhouse, friendshouse}],