Re: Finding shared element in two lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114088] Re: Finding shared element in two lists
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at stein.org>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:59:25 -0500 (EST)

Assuming the two input lists share a common prefix, you can use this:
SequenceAlignment [ myhouse, friendshouse] [ [ 1, -1 ] ]
SequenceAlignment [ aphid, mosquito] [ [ 1, -1 ] ]

Like you, I am more comfortable with procedural programming, partly because
that's what I learned first, but also because I don't know how to employ
error checks in functional programming. For example, if one of your lists
erroneously contains "insect" instead of "insecta", the result is not only
wrong, but it has unexpected structure.