Re: maximum of a series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114206] Re: maximum of a series
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 03:36:00 -0500 (EST)

On 11/26/10 at 5:29 AM, olfa.mraihi at yahoo.fr (olfa) wrote:

>On 25 nov, 11:56, Bill Rowe <readn... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>On 11/24/10 at 7:00 AM, olfa.mra... at yahoo.fr (olfa) wrote:

>>>what I need exactly is to solve this system for m using reduce,
>>>Max[m, s + Max[Table[Sum[a[index2], {index2, i, index1}], {index1,
>>>i, N}]]] == Max[m, t + Max[Table[Sum[a[index2], {index2, j,
>>>index1}], {index1, j, N}]]] but I have the error: iterator in
>>>Table does not have appropriate bounds

>>You cannot use N as themaximumvalue for Table. N has built in
>>meaning and cannot be used as a symbol taking a numeric value. Try
>>replacing N with a lower case n.

>It doesn't work I still have the error iterator in Table does not
>have appropriate bounds . I need i and n symbolically (without
>knowing their values) is there a solution for that? Thanks

When I made the suggestion to use a lower case n instead of N, I
did not realize you were attempting to use Table with an
undefined symbolic value as the end value for the indexed
variable. Quite simply, that isn't allowed. Table is intended to
create a list and must have actual values for the iterator to
take on to do so.

Additionally, if you are creating a symbolic expression, you
cannot use Max to find the maximum of that expression. Tools
that can be used to find the maximum of a symbolic expression
include, FindMaximum, Maximize and NMaximize. Which of these is
best for your particular problem would depend on details of the problem.