Links from slide shows/PDF documents to Mathematica Manipulate demos?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114287] Links from slide shows/PDF documents to Mathematica Manipulate demos?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 04:02:51 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone have any practical advice or tips based on personal
experience to offer re linking from within standard slide presentations
or PDF documents to present and display live Mathematica animations
using the Manipulate[ ] commands --and back?

Notes:

 I have Adobe Acrobat and some elementary experience in linking from
within PDF presentations or documents to movies, QuickTime animations
and the like -- including creating the links in the PDF document to
start with.  Before I start on any tedious experiments doing this with
Mathematica Manipulates[ ]s, I'd appreciate any tips or advice from
others who've already done this.

[Similar tips for linking to Mathematica Manipulate[ ]s from within PowerPoint
or Keynote presentations may also be hepful -- but my base platform is
likely to remain PDF rather than either of these.]

  I know there are Mathematica supporters who will argue strongly that
presentations like this not only can be, but should be, prepared and
presented entirely within Mathematica itself.

Sorry -- all due respect for this view -- but not gonna happen, for me
or, I think, for very many others.