Re: Finding out which fonts are available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112901] Re: Finding out which fonts are available
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 05:35:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

maybe the list of FontSubstituions is at least a hint.

fonts = Union[(FontSubstitutions /.
     Options[$FrontEnd, FontSubstitutions]) /. Rule[_, name_] :> name]
Column[Style["Hello World!", FontFamily -> #, 18] & /@ fonts]

On OSX I can use almost all installed fonts in Mathematica. With X in
Linux this seems a bit different. The fonts are very OS-dependend and I
even don't know whether in the case of Linux the underlying GUI (which
is QT afaik) handles the font stuff or whether Mathematica interacts
directly with the X-Server.

We had a discussion here concerning the micro-symbol which is not
directly connected to your problem but maybe of interest:

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2010/Feb/msg00332.html
http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2010/Feb/msg00361.html

Cheers
Patrick