Re: suggestions for version control or backup systems?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112917] Re: suggestions for version control or backup systems?
  • From: Sebastian <sebhofer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 03:13:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 5, 11:34 am, Albert Retey <a... at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I've been searching for a way to keep my nb-files in a version control
> > or backup system for a while now. At the moment I'm using bzr but I'm
> > not satified with it, as I managed to screw up my repository 2 times
> > now. I'm considering to move to git or mercurial as they may be more
> > suited to handle binary files.
> > Does anyone have any suggestions? How do you all handle your notebook
> > files?
>
> I've been using subversion and mercurial, no screwed up repositories or
> anything really bad happend to me with either of them. But I usually
> only put relatively small notebooks with deleted output cells into
> version control, so your milage might vary...
>
> hth,
>
> albert

The main problem I encounter is that bzr tries to merge my nb files,
which of course differ a lot from each other because of different
output cells, etc. It then screws up the nb by placing markers which
are supposed to help you resolve the conflict, which of course is just
a pain! So I want a vcs which handles binary files better and
preferably doesn't screw them up. Maybe I should also think of
deleting my output cells, on the other hand it may take some time to
recreate them... Anyway, thanks for your heads up on hg!

Cheers,
Sebastian