Re: change the base of the Log[] used by LogLogPlot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112963] Re: change the base of the Log[] used by LogLogPlot?
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

The only difference the base would make would be the required adjustment of the ticks. Any base would result in an identical plot; so use the default.

Partition[Plot[Log[#, x], {x, .1, 1},
     Frame -> True, Axes -> False,
     Epilog ->
      Text[Style["base = " <> ToString[#], 14],
       {.7, Log[#, .2]}]] & /@
   {E, Pi, 10, RandomReal[{2, 500}]},
  2] //
 Grid

Bob Hanlon

---- "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote:

=============
Mathematica experts:

I want to use LogLogPlot, say as in LogLogPlot[x,{x,.1,1}], but I want
the Log to be in base 10, not in base e as the default used.

Looking at the doc, I can't see it. No option to change the base.

I can ofcourse build my own data, and use ListPlot, but LogLogPlot
handles the ticks better automatically and it samples better. Same
question applies for LogPlot, LogLinearPlot, ListLogPlot,
ListLogLinearPlot, etc...

I am sure this is hidden somewhere in the documentation :)

Version 7.0

thanks,

--Nasser