Re: Slow image import

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113002] Re: Slow image import
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 06:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 9, 5:34 am, to <todu... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was trying to use Mathematica 7.0.1 for batch image processing.  I
> used the Import command to load 4000x2000 pixel tiff files.  Using the
> timing command, I noticed it takes about 0.95 second just to load the
> image !!!!  Using another system, I can do the same in about 0.15 s. (about
> 6-7 x faster).
>
> Is there any way to speed things up ???  I already tried to first
> write the tiff image data as a raw binary file and loading it again.
> It still take about 0.7 seconds in that case.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Peter

First thing that comes to mind is to suppress the output from being
displayed in the front end. (I'd assume that once you get your batch
job set up this would be ok, no?)

Depending on how many images you're going to be working with, you
might also consider 'reading' rather than 'importing' the image data.
I've never used this for images, only sound files and other massive
data sets, but BinaryReadList[] appears to work. (You'll probably also
need to learn more about the structure of the binary data in the tiff
format if you go this route...)

-RG