Re: Astronomical Data Accuracy

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113005] Re: Astronomical Data Accuracy
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 06:43:35 -0400 (EDT)

The refraction of the atmosphere alone accounts for a difference of
0.5 deg (http://www.asterism.org/tutorials/tut28-1.htm). I understood
from an email exchange I had with Jeff Bryant (WRI) two years ago that
Mathematica does not take refraction into account.

And is the sun's altitude that of its centre or it's boundary? Makes a
difference for it sunrise/sunset times. It's not in the documentation,
but if you look at the sunrise time

In[4]:= AstronomicalData["Sun", {"LastRiseTime", {2010, 10, 1, 12, 0,
   0}, {39., -77.}}, TimeZone -> 0]

Out[4]= {2010, 10, 1, 11, 4, 27.962}

and the time at which the attitude is zero

In[23]:= AstronomicalData["Sun", {"Altitude", {2010, 10, 1, 11, 8,
   45.474}, {39.`, -77.`}}, TimeZone -> 0]

Out[23]= 0.*10^-6

We may assume that the difference of 4 min accounts for the finite
size of the sun.

Cheers -- Sjoerd