Re: local variables - Module, For loop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113060] Re: local variables - Module, For loop
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 04:27:50 -0400 (EDT)

The For function differs from many other languages in that its
function is not restricted to initializing a variable, increasing it
end testing it for an end value.

In For[start,test,incr,body], start, incr, and body parts may actually
do anything you can dream of; it isn't restricted to working with a
single counting variable. start doesn't necessarily involve any
initializing and incr doesn't really have to involve increasing a
variable. the test should deliver a boolean to make sense, though.

Given this freedom, localizing a variable (which one then?) wouldn't
make sense and indeed you have to use Module or Block for that.

"Do" on the other hand localizes its loop variable, but its clearly
identifiable there and localizing makes sense in that case.

Cheers -- Sjoerd