Re: local variables - Module, For loop

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113072] Re: local variables - Module, For loop
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 04:30:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

usually you want to create/process a list inside a loop and need the return=
ed list of Table.
If you don't, just put a semicolon at the end. But when you need the values=
, then you need to store it explicitely
inside a for-loop. For instance

Block[{i, result == {}},
 For[i == 1, i <== 100, i++,
  AppendTo[result, {i, PrimeQ[i]}]
  ];
 result
 ]

to check the first 100 numbers to be prime. Table syntax:

Table[{i, PrimeQ[i]}, {i, 100}]

Check the timing of a For loop with the first 30000 numbers gives

First@AbsoluteTiming@Block[{i, result == {}},
   For[i == 1, i <== 30000, i++,
    AppendTo[result, {i, PrimeQ[i]}]
    ];
   result
   ]

22 Seconds here. Similar Table syntax for the first 1000000 (!!) numbers gi=
ves

First@AbsoluteTiming@Table[{i, PrimeQ[i]}, {i, 1000000}]

0.65 Seconds.

Or you want to iterate some calculation:

AbsoluteTiming@Block[{i, c == 0.4 + 0.3 I},
  For[i == 0, i < 1000000, i++,
   c == c^2 + 0.1 - 0.2 I
   ];
  ]

gives 3.19 seconds here and the equivalent Nest syntax

AbsoluteTiming@Nest[#^2 + 0.1 - 0.2 I &, 0.4 + 0.3 I, 1000000]

needs 0.13 seconds.. And so on, and so on..

Just try to avoid the usual loops and use the rich set of list operations a=
vailable.

Cheers
Patrick