something nice I found today, return multiple values from a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113094] something nice I found today, return multiple values from a function
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:51:45 -0400 (EDT)

I just found I can duplicate a struct like in Mathematica very easily.

This can be used to return multiple values from a function. Much better
than just return a list of data items.

This is an example:

--------------------
getPointCoordinates[] := Module[{x,y}, {x -> 10, y -> 7}]

p = getPointCoordinates[];
x = x /. data;
y = y /. data;

Print["x=", x]
Print["y=", y]

x=10
y=7

Ok, I know the experts here are saying, what is the big deal, we all
knew that, but I really did not know I could do that until today.

Now I can make my Mathematica code better as before I used to just
return a list of the values, and then I had to be careful I access the
correct ones by the correct position as they were put in the list by the
called function.

I never liked having to do that. The above is so much better.

I keep learning new things about Mathematica every day. Amazing.

--Nasser